Skip to main content

Somerset Levels

Those of you who don't really know me (yet) are probably blissfully unaware that apart from having an interest in many odd and off the wall things, one of my main loves is to write song lyrics  and / or poetry. 

I began this at an early age by writing lyrics (and at the age of 15 (ish) I was called at home* by none other than George Harrison (yes The Beatle!!!)  and complemented on the lyrics of a song that he had heard. That spurred me on and during the years since I have been fortunate enough to have quite a number of songs published, recorded by other artists and in addition I have a number of poetry books currently in print.

This poem is one that dates from 2016 and was inspired by a trip to one of my absolute favourite places in England - GLASTONBURY.

It subsequently became a song..................and I still perform it live during some of my gigs 

Somerset Levels

Walking alone on the Somerset Levels
I spied a tramp with a steely grey eye
He spoke to me, asked where I was going
I didn't think he would understand why.

I walk these paths from dawn until sunset
Never before has someone asked why
Trudging these ways in search of my true love
She walked away just as Elspeth was five

He took my hand an held it quiet firmly
Look in my eyes he whispered aloud
Deep in those pools I saw my wife dancing
She danced in white to the beat of the ground

"Raven" I cried but she did not hear me
She and the Goddess are one and the same
She had the Crescent in blue on her forehead
And now my mind can understand why

Walking alone on the Somerset Levels
I spied a tramp with a steely grey eye
He spoke to me, asked where I was going
And now I know that he understood why

©2016 Dave Baxter

©2014 wytchwynd photography
*to learn more of how that came about you will need to get yourself a copy of my forthcoming book The Stars and I"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back From The Great Adventure

So here I am back from a fantastic trip to Cornwall.   Catching up with work stuff is taking such a long time that I will not get back to blogging properly until next week. In the meantime here is a pic of Tina and I taken by Alison during lunch in Charlestown on Day 1 of the Great Adventure! So thank you for taking the time to read this post, have a fantastic week! Be safe, be careful and above all remember Don’t Predict The Future - CREATE It ! DAve x PS. if you wish to connect with me please send an email to:-  davethemerlin@mail.com

Dateline: Friday 01 October 2021

It is surprising what shows up in a Car Park! Photographed by Dave Baxter 01/10/21 oooOOOooo Thank you for reading this post and check back again soon   If you want to email me -  Click Here! Have a fantastic day, be safe, be careful and above all remember - Don't predict the future - CREATE IT!

06/09/21 My Ideal Day

Hi and welcome I hope that you have had a wonderful weekend - I know that I have!   So I thought having had such a great time I would devise a list of things that make up my ideal day! I wake up naturally and take my time preparing to greet the day ahead. I visit the bathroom, wash and clean teeth and spend 5 minutes in contemplation I dress and make a cup of coffee then  I write both my journal and my gratitude list  I visit my to do list and start working towards completing the things I have to do I clean my cameras ready for the photo shoot(s) that are booked I write any emails that I need to send    and read over my blog notes / planner    and having done this I start writing the new post After I am happy with that it is time to have lunch and then say bye to Alison if she is not coming with me. I (or We) leave the house and choose which vehicle we will use - if it is a country shoot we will probably take the Range Rover but if it is a town / city ...